Friday, September 27, 2013

Embedding C++ code analysis into Visual Studio

Once needed to perform C++ code analysis in order to find multibyte-unfriendly code. Perl with regular expressions helped me a much. Then I've realized that asking everybody in my team to work from DOS console would be inconvenient, thus I've started thinking how to embed this stuff into my lovely IDE (*)

I even asked the community a question: How do I modify View.FindResults1 contents in Visual Studio? 
and got am advice to my own version of the "Find Results" window by creating a Visual Studio extension myself. We can start by having a look at Extending Visual Studio > Tool Windows


Probably writing VisualStudio extensions is a deal of my future self-development. For now I've stopped on calling the script from Post-Build process:
perl $(SolutionDir)\Localization\test_resource_funs.pl  $(InputDir)
thus having its output in Compile Output window. No additional efforts are needed. I can even use "Errors List" to sort and observe all of script warnings.

"Output" window:

"Error List" window:


* - I bet Visual Studio is the best one IDE.

PS see: Formatting the Output of a Custom Build Step or Build Event 

No comments:

Post a Comment